Sunday, March 11, 2012

Coming Attractions

The 2012 thru-hiking season on the Appalachian Trail is underway. Check out trailjournals.com and you will see a few folks already on the move and plenty more getting ready to head for Springer Mountain. I normally think about the trail and thru-hikers along about this time of year. Those thoughts will pop into my head now and then come to me between March and October. I will remember where I was and with whom I traveled on the same day in 2002. I've had some adventures since that year but thru-hiking the Appalachian Trail still resonates in my mind.

Mentally and spiritually I still feel the trail. The immersion in nature, understanding the ebb and flow of time. On the trail, my partners and I called these the "gauzy and romantic" memories that would linger long after the pain and hardship of thru-hiking had faded, memories that might lead us to do something this insane again. But these days I am not at risk to succumbing to gauzy romance so I can reflect and celebrate a truly wonderful event with no illusions.

Since 2012 is my ten year AT anniversary and because I have a book to sell, I will blog my trail journal occasionally in the coming months. The raw stuff. No edits, although I can always comment. That will give this neglected blog some reliable content which might generate some traffic and book sales. I have a many copies copies of At the Speed of Foot that I would like to distribute and this site is a big part of my marketing strategy. It needs content. My journals will do that.

More to come...

No comments:

Post a Comment