Tuesday, August 7, 2012

Trail Journal 08.07.02

Made it over Mount Greylock (highest elevation in Massachusetts), through North Adams and into Sherman Brook Campsite.  11.4 miles on the day.  Hoped to make it into Vermont tonight but breakfast at Bascom Lodge and resupply in North Adams did not leave us in the mood to walk uphill with four day's food until 8:00 pm.  So we are in here.  Morning was cool but not as cold as last night.  I managed to stay warm in my light bag but I had to layer up.  The climb to Greylock summit was never ending --or so it seemed.  The summit was fogged in when I reached it.  The lodge there is very nice, very rustic.  I sat in the lobby waiting for Red and Gary, drinking a cup of coffee.  Felt so good I could have sat there forever.  Breakfast was excellent:  four pieces of French toast, three sausages, homefries, fruit and coffee.  That plus the cool weather was a real pick-me-up,  Also talked to Maggie on the phone from the lodge which was good.  Hike down from Greylock was long--2800 feet down over six miles.  Did it slowly and deliberately.  North Adams is tucked between two ridges in the Hoosic River valley.  Very pretty.  Tomorrow we climb to the top of the north ridge and into Vermont.

No comments:

Post a Comment