Saturday, August 4, 2012

Trail Journal 08.04.02

Made it to Upper Goose Pond Cabin and am tenting behind it.  Cabin is pretty nice but I much prefer the privacy and snugness of my tent.  Besides, we're doing an o-dark-thirty roll-out tomorrow--I won't disturb anyone packing up early.  Felt much better today--was a bit sluggish getting started but the walking was good so I soon got into stride.  At least until I tripped over a branch and crack my knee.  After that, walking was a bi painful--not impossible but I definitely noticed each step.  Had incredibly beautiful light this morning:  shafts of light steaming down through the forest canopy.  The forest was wonderfully cool early on.  Feeling better certainly put the hike back into a positive light.  The past few weeks have been so hot and so buggy that I have difficulty seeing the joy and fun in the hike.  At times I've felt like quitting.  Fortunately, I no longer have a home to return to so quitting doesn't offer much relief.  Besides, I am so close now--only 639 miles to go.  I will finish.  Slow and steady.

No comments:

Post a Comment