Friday, August 23, 2013

Alpine Lakes Wilderness Day 1



23 August 1986   Saturday.  Greg, Colleen, Gary and I begin a week long Pacific Crest Trail Hike.    We fly in from Phoenix, rig out our packs at the Seattle and locate my cousin, Amy, who will shuttle us to the bus station and stow our excess gear at her mom's place.  Four adults, one 16 year old driver and four bulging backpacks are a tight fit in a Subaru wagon.  We make our bus and head east to Snoqualmie Pass.  The ride is leisurely, offering time to think about the adventures to come.  I always have a sense of foreboding as I head out.  Did I bring enough?  Did I bring the right stuff?  Am I missing anything important?  Yes, yes and no.

We disembark at the pass at 3:30.  During winter this is bustling ski area.  In late August, it looks almost abandoned.  The bus pulls away and we are on our own.  My pack is full and damn heavy.  This is the first long trip for this pack, an internal frame pack that I began using in April.  It seems to carry the load well but I am seriously weighted down.  The trail heads straight up.  We move sluggishly, trying to establish a rhythm.  At this stage, all we can do is push on.  We've got 7 miles to go before dark.  We catch some great views of Mt Rainier in the distance and sheer rock ridges closer by.  Gravel Lake comes into view not long before dark.  The day has been a long one.  Horizontal time is most welcome after a 2700 foot climb.

No comments:

Post a Comment