Sunday, November 24, 2013

A Belated November Anniversary

The trip ended in November so yes, it is a November anniversary even if it began in October.    October 30, 1983 to be exact, my first hike into the Grand Canyon.   I'd moved to Arizona the year before and visited the South Rim in February.  During a May visit to Virginia after I planted the seeds for this trip and now three friends--Bev Wilson, Greg and Catharine Moser--were joining me for this hike.  By this time Catharine was pregnant so she and Greg explored Northern Arizona while Bev and I hiked the South Kaibab Trail seven miles to Bright Angel Campground deep inside the Canyon.

Starting out I'm pretty excited with lots of energy.


By the time we reach the Colorado river Bev still has enough energy to smile but I distinctly recall I was pretty beat by this time.  I don't think we made it to the evening beer hall at Phantom Ranch.  If we did, I know we did not stay long.


This trip was my first shooting B&W film.  I was taking my first photography class at Phoenix College that fall and was exploring camera technique as much as the Canyon.

Second day in the Canyon Bev and I followed the trail out to Zoroaster Canyon on north side of the Colorado.  We had to climb a bit out of Bright Angel but after that it was mostly contour walking.  Back in camp we did make the beer hall.  It was Hallowe'en and some were in costume.  That took energy and planning that I sure did not have.

Next morning we began the nine mile climb to the South Rim on the Bright Angel Trail.  It was a long, steady climb out that took seven or eight hours.  Greg and Catharine were waiting for us at the trailhead and took us back to their site at the campground.  Bev and I showered before we all headed back to Bright Angel Lodge for dinner.  After dinner we hung out in the lobby by the large fireplace staying warm before heading back to our sleeping bags on this chilly first night in November.

The rest of the trip took us out East Rim Drive to Desert Watchtower before leaving the park and heading across the Navajo and Hopi Reservations.  Along the route we passed Steamboat Rock, a feature I would come to know well in future years.

 
We ended up in the campground at Canyon de Chelly National Mounument camped under cottonwood trees whose brilliant yellow foliage seemed to glow on a moonless night.  In the morning we drove the rim drive and hiked down to White House Ruins.  Our final day on the road took us throug Petrified Forest National Park before heading back to Phoenix.

In one short week, I previewed much of my life in Arizona.  I was happy with that preview.  I am happy with how it all turned out.



No comments:

Post a Comment