Monday, October 22, 2012

Fall Velo News

Cycling isn't exactly hiking nor is it at the speed of foot but it IS what I am doing these days.  If I am going to keep this blog active now that I've run through my 2002 AT journal, I'll be posting on a variety of human powered activities.

That said, Olympia's long fall came to an abrupt end about 10 days ago.  The clouds and wet weather rolled in along with the clear reminder that we are heading into The Big Dark.  All of which is challenging for me as a bicycle rider.  So far I've made it out on two wet weekends.  It's not that big of a deal--I've done it in past years but, I've gotta say that all of the nice sunny weather spoiled me more than I realized.

It took some effort to roll out into an early cloudy Saturday morning  last weekend to catch the one relatively low predicted window of precipitation at 7:30.  It was a good move.  The window held for most of my ride with rain beginning about 10 minutes before I got home.  Actually had some sunlight peeking through the clouds for a while.

This past weekend's forecast was even more unpromising--rain or showers predicted both days.  Saturday turned out better than predicted but I was committed to another activity so I wasted little time in getting out on wet but not raining Sunday morning.  My luck held.  The sky never cleared and the day was cold to start but I got in a 26 mile loop.

For the year I am at 1,064 miles.  My goal is 1040 or 20 miles per week.  I have 10 more weeks so I expect to break 1,200 miles for the second year in a row.

I also plan a couple of day hikes on the Olympic Peninsula in the coming months so I will be able to add some hiking posts to whatever else I come up with to keep this blog going and keep my book at lease minimally visible somewhere.

Stay tuned.  

No comments:

Post a Comment