Sunday, October 28, 2012

The Book Market at One Year

This time last year printed copies of  At the Speed of Foot arrived on my doorstep and began my odyssey as self-promoter and salesman.  One year on I would say I do that with about as much enthusiasm as I did with publishing:  limited.  I sent out press releases and distributed promotional copies to various media with no response.  I placed copies in local bookstores.  I have not actively promoted the book otherwise.

Sales have been, as expected, modest:  44 print copies, virtually all to people I know.  More surprising are my Kindle sales at amazon.com:  89 so far.   That number takes me beyond my immediate circle of friends and acquaintances.  One of those strangers was kind enough to write a good review, as did a non-stranger.  Many others offered nice comments, all of which told me that I succeeded as a writer.  People, regardless of their hiking experience, could read my words and understand what an Appalachian Trail thru-hike is.  Knowing that I have absolutely no regrets about publishing, no matter what the eventual bottom line.

Of course, I do still have a bottom line, not to mention plenty of  print copies, so I will encourage you to order one, two or more if you are looking for a holiday or other gift in the coming months.  At the Speed of Foot is a gift manufactured right here in the US of A.

A Kindle purchase is cool, too.





No comments:

Post a Comment