Sunday, May 6, 2012

Trail Journal 05.06.02

I learned of Julie Noterman's death in a phone message from Maggie today while I was in Erwin [Tennessee].  I was done with town business and about to leave when I checked messages and got the word from Maggie.  I'm glad I found out only as I was leaving; the news would have made town errands much more difficult.  As it was, I thought of Julie during the climb out of Erwin.  My mere discomfort on a hard physical task that I willingly chose pales in comparison to Julie and [husband] Stephan's suffering.  Maggie said in her message that Julie's death makes my hike all the more necessary.  I climbed today as if I were climbing for Julie.  I thought about her among the spirits and about me being in the spirit of nature, being part of nature, living with nature.  The thoughts comforted me.

No comments:

Post a Comment