Tuesday, May 22, 2012

Trail Journal 05.22.02

Another day and more real food!  We walked into Atkins, Virginia today around 1:30 and decided to motel it tonight.  Had a hot roast beef sandwich for lunch and chicken fried steak for dinner which also included a hot cinnamon roll dessert.  I'm getting used to real food; my system will be shocked to go back on trail rations tomorrow.  We resupplied at the truck stop nearby and start walking  toward Bland in the morning.  Today's walking was very good--nice and easy with no hard climbs.  Day was sunny--cool to start but gradually warmer so yesterday's blue mood was long gone.  It's easier to believe on a bright, sunny day.  Last 4 miles or so took us through farm fields and newly wooded areas that were devoid of large trees.  Felt like I was walking through Pittsylvania County [*] rather than the AT.  Last mile meandered a lot--we could see Atkins long before we got here.  By the day after tomorrow we should be hiking along Chestnut Knob and Garden Mountain, a section of trail I hiked in 1980 with Hank Harman on the trip where I met Bev Wilson, Greg and Catharine Moser.  I'm hoping to actually see Burkes Garden this time.  It was fogged in on the 1980 trip.

________________
[*] Where I grew up.  About 150 miles east on Route 58.

No comments:

Post a Comment