Thursday, May 17, 2012

Trail Journal 05.17.02

Left Damascus early this afternoon.  Passed several hikers coming south into town but we were determined to be gone.  Began climbing the stairs away from Route 58 at 1:00 and came into Saunders Shelter at 4:40.  The shelter is new, nicely (if strangely*) built with a brand new privy.  We are sharing the shelter with Little Bob, another refugee form Damascus, and three students from NC State.

Walking wasn't bad.  Good trail, some climbing but doable.  Town food left me feeling sluggish but I got here anyway.  I was glad to leave Damascus--I did all my resupply and town chores so I was ready to be gone.  I need to be out walking rather than looking at hiker merchandise and wandering the streets.  So now I'm watching the evening light fade in a wonderful sylvan setting.  The shelter is just in front of a pine thicket where the ground is covered with pine needles.  To the north is an open grassy area.  To the east is a stand of trees, filling in their foliage.  It's a calming scene, no doubt very unlike Damascus at the moment.

No comments:

Post a Comment