Sunday, September 2, 2012

Trail Journal 09.02.02

I realized today that all the obstacles on the AT ultimately succumb to my ability to take that net step.  The much feared, rugged and challenging White Mountains of New Hampshire are now behind me simply because I kept going.  The trail was hard but I made it through  Maine will be no different.  Today's walk was a good example.  Started out witha 2,000 foot, two mile climb out of Pinkham Notch.  Very slow going bit it still went.  Step by step.  Once up, we were on Wildcat Ridge where we crossed five peaks before dropping into Carter Notch.  Five miles in four hours.  Had lunch at the hut there.  Then had another steep climb to Carter Dome (1,500 feet, 1.2 miles).  All because I can grind out yet another step.  After Zeta Pass I picked up the pace--trail was good and elevation change was minimal--and reached Imp Shelter in just over  two hours for 4.8 miles.  Was one of the few times I actually broke 2 mph in NH.  Day was overcast.  Has a sprinkling of rain in the morning but none since and even had a bit of sun.  Later in the day fog rolled over the ridges but blew right off.  Could see Mounts Washington, Jefferson, Adams and Madison, swathed in clouds off and on.  Tomorrow:  eight miles to Route 2 and a zero day in Gorham.

No comments:

Post a Comment