Friday, September 7, 2012

Trail Journal 09.07.02

Hiked through Mahoosic Notch--"the toughest mile on the AT"--today.  It was slow going over, around and under the large boulders but actually fun.  Even with blazes and arrows, finding the route was a challenge and I enjoyed picking my way through.  Like all the other "dreaded" stretches of trail, Mahoosic Notch succumbed to my willingness to keep moving forward.  The climb out of the notch was harder-a long, steep, straight shot up about 1,500 feet.  Hard going.  Then the tail dropped into Speck Pond and climbed steeply up Grafton Mountain.  On Grafton, I could see all the way to Mount Washington--my last week's worth of hiking--in one expansive view.  Then down, down, down to Grafton Notch and up, up to Baldpate Shelter where I was happy to find water and tent sites.  Unlike last Saturday, there is plentyof space.

I am enjoying the walking more these days.  Maybe it's because I know it will end soon but what ever the reason I'm happy to be here.  Fall is tarting to come to Maine.  'm seeing more and more trees beginning to turn colorr.  Green still dominates but its days are surely numbered. 

No comments:

Post a Comment