Wednesday, January 23, 2013

The Here & Now Is What You Make Of It

Plundering my AT and Vietnam journals was an effective way to generate regular posts for this site in the past year which cranked up my visibility a bit.  The daily postings from Vietnam were especially good for increasing visitor numbers.  Since visibility is a key to marketing I guess I will have to find an equally good way to keep this blog active.  Daily posting is unlikely.  It was hard enough when all I had to do was edit something I'd written before; coming up with daily material for more than a few days just won't happen.  My Unsolicited Opinion blog also demands a certain amount of content simply because I have a need to speak out on public issues and culture even though no one asked.  Most material for that site is not relevant to this one, although you will see some overlap here and there.

Aside from offering interesting and informative content, an important focus here is to get people to read At the Speed of Foot.  Judging from Kindle sales that is happening, which is pretty cool.  I still have lots of paperback copies and would be delighted if more readers purchased print copies but the electronic sales and comments from readers has been more than satisfying.  My worst fears as a writer have been shown to be largely unfounded, although one reviewer did call it "tripe", a word I often used myself as I wrote.  In the end, At the Speed of Foot is the story as best I can tell it. Everyone is free to make their own judgment.

Expect to see more journal entries from past hikes.  I had a good time revisiting my AT and Vietnam journals, which is the whole point of writing a journal anyway.  Maybe I came up with some good ideas for future essays and posts.  Going back to my other journals might give me some more ideas.  Expect to see a few book reviews, too.  I write a capsule description/review of each book I read; one or two might be worth posting.  Expect, too, accounts of actual hikes and adventures in the here and now.  Arthritis has made me less inclined to take on a demanding hike but I can still walk and still very much cherish any time that I can spend deep in the back country.




No comments:

Post a Comment