Sunday, June 10, 2012

Trail Journal 06.10.02

Camped beside the James River on a warm evening after an 18.5 mile walk from Cornelius Creek Shelter.  Once again, we beat the heat with 5:30 am roll out.  And once again, we were rewarded with an exquisite morning.  I love the way the forest slowly emerges from the night's darkness.  Shapes become distinct in the morning twilight.  The first rays of the morning sun spotlighted a single small tree.  All was quiet save for my foot falls.  Morning was wonderfully cool--no hint of the heat to come later.  Fog lay in the valley, just like yesterday.

Covered 12 miles by noon, took a long lunch and walked to Matt's Creek Shelter but decided to camp by the river so we could swim.  The water felt very, very good after the long hot afternoon walk down to the river.  Now I'm just sitting on the river bank, enjoying what coolness there is and watching people float by in canoes and kayaks, watching traffic on Route 501 across the James and the occasional coal train rumble by on the tracks adjacent to the highway.  Not exactly pristine wilderness but peaceful enough in its own way. 

My first view of the James River was from the ridge high above the river to the south.  The sight almost stopped my heart.  I was very overcome with emotion.  The James River has always been a part of my geography, of my history.  To see it as an AT thru-hiker after 760 miles was a real thrill.  Seems like every step I take these days brings me closer to home.

Saw four deer and one rattlesnake today.

No comments:

Post a Comment