Tuesday, June 12, 2012

Trail Journal 06.12.02

Camped at Maupin Field Shelter only 1.6 miles from Reeds Gap, one of the special places in my life.  Reeds Gap is where I had much of my early post Vietnam encounters with the AT.  omorrow I will pass through Reeds Gap as a genuine thru-hiker.  I can hardly wait!  Plus I get to do it with two very special partners at first light which is always a special time of day for me.

Got here via the Mau-Har Trail from the Tye River.  It cut eight miles off the day but was very rugged--most rugged hiking of the trip so far.  It came at the end of a long day.  As always, the morning walk was wonderful.  Got to The Priest by 10 am.  The five mile downhill to the Tye was hard--much like a Grand Canyon descent.  I fell twice.  Both times my foot slipped out from under me on loose scrabble.  I was happy to reach the river for lunch.  It all, it was an 18.3 mile day.  Now it's time to sleep.

No comments:

Post a Comment