Wednesday, June 13, 2012

Trail Journal 06.13.02

Last night with Red and Gary for a while and I'm feeling sad.  We've done well as a team these last 11 weeks.  I wonder how I will do on my own.  I worry that I'll not be able to rejoin them after hanging out with friends and Maggie in Virginia these next few weeks.  And on and on.  But I wan to visit with and be with Maggie and I cannot do both so I've come up with a plan that balances things about as well as can be. 

Walking this morning was hard.  It was hot and humid even at 5:30 am.  Air was still and stifling.  Red, Gary and I walked together from Maupin Field.  I found the overlook where I used to hang out and where Toby's ashes [the dog who accompanied me on so many trips here before we moved to Arizona] are buried.  It pleased me to be there as pare of my thru-hike.

After that, the going was tough.  North of Reeds Gap the trail crosses to the west side of the ridge where it was relocated to avoid the impact of development.  The relocated trail was rocky and the stifling air made it feel like we were in a subterranean passage.  Was glad to finally get back on the ridge.  Still, it was hard going in the humid air. 

Afternoon was much better.  We got to Paul Wolfe Shelter around 3:00 pm.  It's much better than most of the recent ones--has a covered porch and cooking area.  It's set above and overlooks Mill Creek which is running strong and flows through a pleasant valley.  We had a relaxing afternoon so I am not writing late into the evening as has been the case so many days lately.

Tomorrow R&G go to Waynesboro which is the latest Mecca for thru-hikers.  Seems funny to me since it's just Waynesboro(*).  But after 11 weeks on the trail, I understand the lure of any town.

_________
(*)  I was married to a woman from Waynesboro and saw a lot of the town during those years.

No comments:

Post a Comment