Monday, July 9, 2012

Trail Journal 07.09.02

Raining hard now and I'm taking a little water.  This spot isn't the best for drainage so I have water running under my tent.  Also getting some backsplash for the falling rain.  But in all, I am still quite dry.  Managed to get all my camp chores done before the heavy shower cut loose so all my gear is stowed under cover.  A cold front is moving in which will be very welcome so I am not at all unhappy about the rain.  I hope it will play out and move on but my tent is already we wet so I guess it keep on, although I would prefer a gentler rather than harder shower.  Right now it's not too bad and the air is much cooler already.

Good walk on my first full unfettered day in two weeks.  Was out of Garvey by 5:30 this morning and covered 19.9 miles.  Passed through Gathland State Park, the home of George Alfred Townsend, a noted Civil War correspondent.  The park includes his never-used tomb and a great stone arch that Townsend commissioned as a memorial to war correspondents.  Also passed through Washington Monument State Park which is the site of an 1827 stone tower built to honor George Washington.  The Trail took me across South Mountain, site of a Civil War engagement leading to the Battle of Antietam  in 1862.

The day was hot but not like last week.  I showered (!) at Dahlgren Backpakers Campground.  I felt great until I started climbing South Mountain when I added a new layer of sweat and grime to replace the one I just washed off.  Got to my planned campsite at 2:30 but it didn't look particularly attractive so I pushed on to Pogo Campsite where the best site was occupied by two teenagers so I set up in this marginal spot.

Saw Nigel, an Englishman, and Turtle Soldier in the late morning but no one else until later--mostly day hikers.  Sloopy, Razz, Hoss, Little Bo Peep and Uncle Jesse slackpacked past on their way to Cowal Shelter.  Nigel was at the spring here and I met Greasepot, whom I first met near Bland in late May.  Still the trail felt lonely, kind of like an arena after the crowd had departed.

No comments:

Post a Comment