Friday, July 27, 2012

Trail Journal 07.27.02

Long day, late night.  Hiked 20.8 miles to catch up with Red and Gary at Algo Shelter.  Got out of Pawling, NY at 7:30 after a eating a great breakfast sub sandwich.  Made it back to the trail in 30 by 8:00 after two rides.  Found a note from R&G saying they went on to Wiley Shelter instead and would leave a message for me there.  So off I went under overcast skies.  The woods were dark and gloomy but the walking was good.  Got to Wiley in just over three hours (8.3 miles).  R&G's message said they were heading to Algo tonight, which means another 12.3 miles.  So I pushed on.  Did pretty well--even the climb up Shaghticoke Mountain where I met Bill and Ursula.  But the last three miles were hard--up and down over what seem like endless piles of rock.  Reached Algo around 6:30 and found R&G.  Even found a cool beer in the creek.  I'm whipped but I'm here and it's less that half a mile into town for breakfast tomorrow.

No comments:

Post a Comment