Monday, July 2, 2012

Trail Journal 07.02.02

Back on the trail.  Hiked in to Denton Shelter from Route 522.  Started at 2:30 with Maggie.  She hiked in about a mile along the Smithsonian Conservation Area before heading back to the truck.  Walk in was not bad but he day was godawful hot and humid.  I was sweating just sitting on the tailgate eating lunch before I started walking.  Got into the shelter about 5:00.  Felt strange walking--kind of light-headed and disoriented.  Didn't see anyone on the trail and felt lonely. 

But there were people at the shelter.  Hi Tech, whom I met farther south in Virginia, was here when I arrived.  So were a couple of people I met at the trailhead--Hoss and Mira.  They left but three others--Sloopy, Buzz and Razz came in, plus a section hiker named John. 

The shelter is very nice,  has a large porch with benches and a well-made three person Adirondack-style chair.  I'm tenting nearby.  Thes i also a shower a the ater source--very cold but on a hot day like this it feels wonderful. 

So now I'm back on the trail and I'm very happy.  Not missing Maggie yet--just spent a week with her and will see her over the next few days.  All is right with my world.

No comments:

Post a Comment