Monday, December 17, 2012

Vietnam Journal 12.17.10

Almost noon now.  Maggie and I spent the morning on a guided biological tour.  Walking through the jungle with a young woman named Duyen who was very knowledgeable about Cat Thien's flora and fauna.  This is about as close to the jungle I remember from the war as I am likely to see on this trip.  It sure looked familiar.  I could easily see myself crashing through that underbrush if I let myself dwell on that particular thought.  Mostly though, I stayed in the present--on tour in a national park.  I put the war aside.  That is one reason I came  here.

Yesterday's drive up took us maybe within sight of my former AO.  I saw ridges to the east that may have been the "goddamn motherfucking mountains" where my battalion operated.  Close enough

No comments:

Post a Comment