Thursday, December 20, 2012

Vietnam Journal 12.20.10

Back at the hotel now after three hours of conversing with English language students at Da Nang University.  It is hard work!  Maggie and I spoke to separate classes so we are both pretty tired.  But it was also a lot of fun.  My first session was with about 20freshman/intermediate students, all very shy and soft spoken.  I probably talked too much at first but after a while we got a bit of conversation going, mainly about Christmas.  My second session was with three higher level students;  Moon who works for a trading company, Chan who is an economics major university student and My who is a 16 year old secondary student.  That session was a bit easier but still challenging.  Between the students' accents, soft voices, poor acoustics and my bad hearing I had to work very hard to understand what they were saying.  I'll be doing this all week.

When we came out of the university Le Daun Street was all lit up with decorations for the holidays, very bright and very festive.  Except for the dark, it could have been mid-day--all of the shops were open, sidewalks were crammed with parked motorbikes and people.  Even the street corner mechanic with his air compressor and gasoline in a liquor bottle was still at work. 

No comments:

Post a Comment