Sunday, December 30, 2012

Vietnam Journal 12.30.10

Spent the morning evaluating students for placement in the English language program.  Most were employees of the Da Nang city government with engineering and architectural degrees.  Each had three minutes to answer my questions about themselves and their work.  Most had very limited proficiency despite their professional accomplishments.  I felt badly about giving them low ratings--many had studied English for years--but they simply lacked the ability to communicate with me in English.  A generous score would have been no favor.  As always, I listened carefully, trying to filter out all of the background noise.  I found that it was usually apparent pretty soon into the interview how each student spoke English. My initial impression might go up or down slightly as the conversation progressed but never dramatically.  According to Tuyet, students may study English for years but have little opportunity to speak it and are unable to develop proficiency.

Notes from the student interviews

Maggie and I taught our last classes this evening.  Although it is very hard work, am sorry to see the classes end.  I am so energized and happy speaking to and working with the students I don't mind the effort.  But all things must pass and so too will this adventure.  But the memory will never end.  More importantly this experience will forever change my perception of Vietnam.  Tonight, with the thrilling excitement of class, seems to completely blot out the memory of war, of the fear, of the spookiness that has always been Vietnam to me.  That's a profound change.  I now see and experience Vietnam as a place of peace and very friendly people.  For that reason I can confidently say that the trip has accomplished all that I hoped for.

And it's not over.  We still have seven full days left, including Ha Noi, so there is much to anticipate.  Even when the trip ends, I can look forward to returning to life in Olympia, seeing friends and simply understanding all that I have seen and done during 25 days in Vietnam.

No comments:

Post a Comment