Saturday, April 4, 2015

Trail Journal: 04 April 2005

Camped at Stover Creek shelter on the first night of my AT "make up" hike.  Walked a blistering 2.5 miles today--only 1.5 miles with a pack.  My brother Neil drove me up from Atlanta to Forest Road 42, about a mile north of Springer Mountain summit.  Getting there took a bit of route finding--Neil's DeLorme Atlas software plotted out a rather strange route--but after asking for directions at a store, we found the road.  Walked south with Neil and dog, Greta, to the the summit, touched the AT plaque, came back to the vehicle, and started walking solo with pack.  It was easy walking--much more so than 2002.  Feels strange to be here on my own--no Red and Gary, no Maggie like last time, just me and other hopeful hikers.

No comments:

Post a Comment