Sunday, April 26, 2015

Trail Journal 04.26.05

Transitioning to Pennsylvania at friend Peyton Coyner's place in Nelson County, Virginia.  Very, very pleasant.  Pace here is leisurely but active.  Made a birthday card for Maggie using Peyton's rubber stamps.  Bought supplies and figured my itinerary for Pennsylvania yesterday.  Today, I canoed a nine mile stretch of the Rockfish river with Peyton.  We took a chainsaw and cleared two major obstacles.  One other obstacle was beyond us--two large trees had fallen across the river, one form each side.  We cleared some of the small branches that were sweeping the water.  The trunks were about three feet above water--fast water--but Peyton ran us trough as we ducked.

Now I'm sitting on a bench by the little spring on his property, one of many sources for the Rockfish.  The bench is perfect for sitting and contemplating.  Sky is mostly clear with some clouds.  The sun is warm, the air pleasantly cool.  Steady wind. Contemplating this trip so far, I am glad to be doing it.  Hiking with Montreal and Kusta was fun.  Kutsa has a will of iron; she can hike even when she doesn't want to.  Montreal is generous and enthusiastic, willing to make the effort to do what he wants.  Kutsa told me before we parted that, had I not been hiking with her north of Hot Springs, she would have turned around  She said she was glad I was there to keep her going.  So am I.

No comments:

Post a Comment