Monday, April 20, 2015

Trail Journal 04.20.05

We resupply in Erwin.  Sam's Gap is old Route 23 passing under a freeway.  The convenience store is closed.  We tried hitching at the truck pull-out on the freeway to no avail.  From the freeway I spotted a car on the old road dropping off backpackers and beat feet down there.  The driver was dropping her dad off and gave us a ride to Miss Janet's House where we've been holed up ever since.  Lots of hikers here.  Lots of chaos.  Hikers in.  Hikers out.  Many kilts, which are more colorful this year than 2002, various plaids rather than the earth tones I saw before.  Miss Janet herself is a dynamo, somehow managing all this hubbub without totally freaking out.  She fixes a great breakfast so I know we'll not be making an early start tomorrow.  Talked to Maggie a couple of times since I arrived.  Tomorrow we walk out into scattered thudershowers and rain.  And still, I am happy to be on the trail.

No comments:

Post a Comment