Friday, April 24, 2015

Trail Journal 04.24.05

Sunday morning,  Johnson City, Tennessee Greyhound bus station.  Snow has been falling on and off all morning.  I'm now apart from the thru-hikers.  I miss their company but it's not quite the same as cutting loose in '02.  These hikers are not my trail family; I lack the intimate connection that comes only with shared experience.  I know their experience because it's similar to my own three years ago but it's also different.  Even without that connection, the 2005 thru-hikers are a lively, fun group.  The energy and activity level this morning at the Holiday Inn and at Miss Janet's make the quiet at this bus station seem like a tomb.  This year's thru-hikers remind me very much of 2002.  I see the same characters and styles but displayed differently.  I shared Bald Mountain Shelter with four long mileage types who walked 19 miles that day.  I've met ad hoc groups that have become semi-permanent.  There are hard partiers and hikers who seem to stay in one place working to finance their next leg.  They were on the trail in 2002.  They are back again this year.

Names:  Colorado & Marshmallow, Red Hat, Blaze & Dreadi Bear, New Hampshire, Rambler, Thirsty Boots (also in 2002), Butterfly Moon, Sunshine, Souleman & Brownie, KTR, Mr. Clean Senior, Mr. Clean Junior.  Green Man (also in 2002), Jakebrake & Low Gear (also in 2002), Phoenix, 3V, Rhino.

No comments:

Post a Comment