Tuesday, April 28, 2015

Trail Journal 04.28.05

I'm wearing "civilian" clothing again.  My hiking garb is not your standard street wear, although my parka and fleece anorak are pretty standard for me these days.  The nylon windpants, hiking socks and sandals certainly set me apart from my fellow Greyhound travelers the other day.  In trail towns like Erwin and Hot Springs I am set apart from normal people by my shorts and polypro shirt.  But not here.  Today I have real clothing--jeans, underwear and shirt.  Still don't have regular shoes but the other items camouflage that lack.  It's very nice to feel normal (and clean) for a few days.

The bus ride from Johnson City wasn't too bad--just long.  Got to the station two hours early.  Not much to do there.  The station agent offered me coffee.  Had snow showers all morning but nothing serious.  (It was enough to keep Montreal and Kutsa at the motel for another day.  As many hikers as could afford to also stayed, I am sure.  Those who could not walked.) Made stops in Kingsport, Bristol, and Wytheville, which was also a meal stop at a fast food place.  It was cold with a biting wind.  Saw a white blaze where the AT passes under I-81 at Atkins, Virginia and the back of the Village Motel where I stayed a night in 2002.  Changed buses in Roanoke.  The station was dark and noticeably the one in Johnson City and had no food service.  Not much for a city that is a major hub of the Shenandoah Valley. Just north of the Troutville exit I saw a white blaze where the AT crosses I-81 as it heads toward the Blue Ridge.  The bus swung into Buchanan and Buena Vista looking for passengers.  Found none but it was fun seeing the towns.  Peyton and Carol were waiting for me in Staunton when I arrived, saving me from having to wait in that cold wind.

No comments:

Post a Comment