Thursday, April 23, 2015

Trail Journal 04.23.05

Back in Erwin on a cold, wet day.  Came into town in the rain.  Not hard but steady.  Much colder.  Had a thunderstorm last night.  Felt good to be dry and warm with thunder and rain all around me.  Managed to pack up and get into the shelter before this morning's storm.  Even so, my gear was damp.  Walked well  and comfortably in the cold rain.  Pretty sure I could set up and be dry again tonight if I had to. Instead, I'm in town.  Showered.  Fed.  Dry.  Almost laundered.

Evening.  Walk in this am was in the clouds.  Fog and rain over and down from No Business Knob.  No view of the Nolichucky Valley until we are well down.  Cold, biting wind.  Rain steady, off and on, not hard.  Good day to move.  Still I cannot but stop and wonder at the magnificent forest that I am, for a moment, a part of.  It is here, in this place that I find my soul, the eternity of which I am a fleeting part.   Trail today was good, even though wet.  Easy walking.  Lots of hikers came off the trail today.  From Sam's Gap.  From Devils Fork Gap.  From Iron Mountain Gap.  Weather is turning cold with snow in the forecast.  Hikers walked into the Holiday Inn Express all afternoon.  The place is probably three-quarters hikers tonight. Sort of like a Miss Janet's where everybody gets their own room.

Tonight is my last night with Montreal and Kutsa.  It's been grand fun walking with them.  Despite what they call their "slowness" they walk a good pace.  We averaged over 10 miles per day from Hot Springs.  The pace is good for me--I don't feel like I must race anyone on this trip.  Traveling with "the horde" of thru-hikers sometimes leaves me thinking I need to beat them for tent space or a bunk or whatever but I can't so I don't try.  I just live with the flow as best I can.  But mostly, this hike has been a chance to renew a fond acquaintance and meet new thru-hikers.  And it's certainly fulfilled its promise.  I've enjoyed my time here in Georgia, Carolina, and Tennessee.  I am looking forward to Pennsylvania.  I know I will miss all these hikers.

No comments:

Post a Comment