Monday, May 4, 2015

Trail Journal 05.04.05

Just sucked down three beers at the Doyle Hotel Bar during happy hour.  I'm decidedly well buzzed.  I am also showered, laundered and about to be fed.  Hit town around 9:30.  The Doyle was closed.  Went for breakfast across the street and when I finished, ran into the Doyle's owner opening up.  The rest is town day history.  Arranged my shuttle to Harrisburg to catch a bus east to reach Delaware Water Gap tomorrow evening.  I walk out the following day, heading south back to Duncannon.

I am in Room 12 of the Doyle Hotel, a corner room on the third floor.  The room has two windows.  The south facing window has a view of the Susquehanna River and the highway that follows its other bank.  My room overlooks Market Street, the main thoroughfare, and the railroad tracks just behind the houses across the street.  The river is broad and gentle-looking here, placidly flowing around a bend between ridges.  From my window, I can see Peters Mountain, where the trail continues north after crossing the river.

I'm glad I finally made it to the Doyle Hotel, even more so that I am here in a cool time of year.

Sign on windows of Room 12:

WARNING.  Use great caution when operating windows due to age and condition.  Windows are unstable.  Operate at your own risk.

No comments:

Post a Comment