Monday, May 11, 2015

Trail Journal 05.11.05

Took my first (and I hope last) fall today not long before lunch.  I flushed something from the brush and when I turned to see what it was, I went down on the rocks.  I was in the midst of one of those rock piles that are between the rocky trail and larger outcroppings.  Scraped my knee and skinned my hand but nothing major.  Morning walk to Allentown Shelter was very nice--level, wide and very few rocks.  Stepped those miles off quite easily.  Then came the rock pile and my fall.  I think I flushed a turkey; it had wings and sounded largebut I didn't get a good look.  I was too busy falling.

Day was humid from the start.  Began walking in a mist that burned off by the time I reached Kennedy Shelter.  By lunch clouds were forming and I caught a shower just as I was coming into Eckville Shelter where I'm staying tonight.  Took my morning break at Kennedy--a new, well designed shelter.  The privy even has a mirror.  But for comfort nothing can beat Eckville.  It's a cabin actually.  Has a solar shower, flush toilet and a fridge stocked with soda and ice cream.  Shower water wasn't at all warm but felt good after today's stickiness.  Drank a soda and orange juice and am just waiting for dinner to settle before I grab an ice cream for dessert.

Lots of bumble bees are buzzing around me as I write.  They are hovering everywhere, it seems.  Looking for mates, I think.  Every now and then I see two joined together or fighting off competitors.  It's that time of year.

The register here is great--it goes back to 2001 so naturally I checked 2002.  Most everyone I know from that year stopped in here during June and July.  Red and Gary were here on July 10.  It's such fun to see all those names again.  Kind of makes me feel like I am right there with them.  It's especially nice since I don't know most of the names I am seeing in this year's registers.  It reminds me that I am part of a larger community.


Met a trail maintainer, a seciton hiker and on thru-hiker (Lily Red or Red Lily).  Saw a black woman hiker heading back to the trail as I was coming off for the shelter.  I see from the register that she is Early Bird.  Also saw the same two day hikers I saw yesterday at Bake Oven Knob.  They are brothers who hike two weeks each year.

No comments:

Post a Comment